University of Chicago Library, Goodspeed Manuscript Collection Ms. 823, New Testament. Syriac. Peshitta (Teheran Gospel Fragments). 13th century.
Peshitta New Testament leaves in Syriac. Reading divisions in the margins. Formerly Goodspeed Ms. Syr. 30.
John (begins at 15:6 and ends with 21:25). Subscription: Completed is the proclamation of John.
Note: A subscription following John for the gospels: Completed is the writing of the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), which totals seventy-eight sections. Glory to Christ who has given strength for my wretchedness. Amen.
- fol. [8v] Acts (begins at 1:1 and ends with 1:12).
- fols. [9r]-[9v] James (begins at 5:4 and ends with 5:20). Subscription: Completed in the epistle from Jacob.
- fols. [9v]-[13r] 1 Peter. Subscription: Completed is the epistle of the apostle Peter.
- fols. [13r]-[16v] 1 John. Subscription (lacking).
- fols. [17r]-[18v] Romans (begins at 1:1 and ends with 2:28).
Parchment. 245 x 155 mm.
Number of Leaves
Remains of two sets of foliation in the lower and upper right margins.
Written space 190 x 108 (fol. r).
1 column, 31 to 37 lines.
Written in Estrangelo script in black ink. Occasional East Syriac vowels.
Titles in red and green.
Leaves are cockled. Edges are dry and cracked. Portions of some leaves broken. Random dirt and water stains.
Binding is lost. Leaves are held together with tape.
The manuscript to which the present leaves belonged is judged to have been written in the 13th century. A place of origin is unknown.
Medieval to early 20th century provenance unknown. Belonged to George R. Jarvis of Chicago, Illinois, ca. 1931. Mr. Jarvis purchased the gospel leaves from a private collector in Tehran, Iran who is said to have owned an additional 200 leaves.
Acquired by the University of Chicago from George R. Jarvis, December 1932.
- Merrill Mead Parvis, The Story of the Goodspeed Collection ([Chicago:] s.n., 1952), pp. 20-21.
- James T. Clemons, "A checklist of Syriac manuscripts in the United States and Canada," Orientalia Christiana Periodica 32 (1966), p. 480 (197) .
- Aaron M. Butts, "Syriac manuscripts in the Edgar J. Goodspeed Collection of the Special Collections Library of the University of Chicago." (Unpublished work, 2009).
- Dale A. Johnson, "The Goodspeed Syriac Fragments from the Goodspeed Collection, University of Chicago, Mss. 829, 716, 823." (Unpublished work, 2009).